We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. -The Declaration of Independence
Today is truly a day for celebration and remembrance. On this day in 1776, a few brave men signed the Declaration of Independence creating 13 free colonies and the United States of America. We should all remember that even though we are fighting for more liberty and less government every day, we still live in an incredible country. We have more opportunity and freedom here than almost anywhere in the world. There are people fighting against their government every day to live… we are only fighting for more liberty. So today, instead of fighting the good fight, let’s celebrate our history. Let us remember the founding fathers and everything they did to create the United States of America. Let us remember that this country was founded on equality of opportunity and the protection of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Now take your deep appreciation for the history of today and liberty in general with you to your picnic, barbecues and parties. Before you head off though, we’d also like to arm you with some fun facts about the Fourth to impress your friends:
- There were only 2.5 million people who celebrated Independence Day in 1776
- 311.7 million people estimated to be celebrating Fourth of July today
- There are 31 places nationwide with the word “liberty” in its name
- More than 81 million people attended a BBQ last year
- Almost 200 million dollars are spent on fireworks (mostly imported from China)
- 3.2 million dollars are spent on American Flags
- 98.3 billion dollars of trade last year between the USA and the United Kingdom, our 1776 rival, is now our sixth-leading trading partner
(more fun facts can be found here)
From all of us here at Students For Liberty, we sincerely wish you all an incredible Independence Day!