SFL has just released our 2010-2011 Midyear Report! Click here to read about all of SFL’s accomplishments this past semester. I want to recount the story of one attendee at SFL’s Texas Regional Conference this fall: David Simpson was a freshman legislator in the Texas House of Representatives who attended the conference to learn from speakers and meet students. Inspired by what he saw, Mr. Simpson introduced legislation to allow individuals who possess a concealed handgun license to carry handguns on university campuses just two days after the conference concluded. In a note to SFL after the event, Mr. Simpson had this to say: “Thank you for making this available to “students”, including a freshman Texas legislator. Much appreciated.” SFL is about making an impact. This is just one example of what SFL is starting to do, and there are many other accomplishments that deserve recognition. This past semester, SFL:
- Launched a newly designed website that is more aesthetically pleasing and functionally useful.
- Grew the SFL Group Network from 250 to 429 groups around the world. This is a 58% increase in one semester!
- Hosted 9 Regional Conferences around the US with over 1,000 unique participants. Over 300 more participants than last year!
- Co-sponsored the European Libertarian Student Summit, and SFL’s European Director, Carlo Cordasco, organized the first European Liberty Conference with over 100 attendees.
- Developed a Campus Coordinator program that provided leadership training and responsibilities to 26 students across the world!
- Held E-Leadership webinars for nearly 400 unique students in just 4 months.
- Provided free books to over 115 groups across North America.
- Funded 10 different protests against liberty-reducing policies on campuses across the country.
- Provided Operation Politically Homeless to 25 different student organizations.
What’s more, SFL’s successes aren’t going unnoticed. SFL’s Los Angeles Campus Coordinator, Michelle Fields, was interviewed by both Reason.TV and the Fox Business Network to discuss the state of the libertarian student movement. The 4th Annual International SFL Conference will feature a filming of the John Stossel Show, highlighting that Stossel’s pro-liberty opinions are not only shared by his guests, but also by the next generation.
The first semester this year was a great start for SFL, and spring 2011 is poised to be even better. I am always astounded by how much SFL has accomplished, and it is due to this organization’s tremendous supporters and leaders. Thank you so much for making SFL such a meaningful organization.
Sincerely & For Liberty,
Alexander J. McCobin
President, Students For Liberty